Wednesday, May 03, 2006

The new Z

The new Z06 came out in 2006. It's a dramatic step up from my '02 Z, for many reasons. The question is: Do I want to buy one?

Well, obviously, if money were no object, I'd get one. But it is, and more than that, there's personal code, standards and so forth that combine in a baroque sort of way to muddy the waters.

It's got 100 HP more than the '02 and is very light. It's got a 427 as opposed to a 350, and a dry sump oil system that's more survivable. It's got more modern gee-jaws than Sharper Image. It's got great suspension, and is likely much, much faster in the turns than my car.

I just can't do it. It would double my car payment. I feel like I just got the Blue Car and I'm stupidly loyal. I also feel that buying the first year of almost anything is a bad idea. Perhaps the '07s will be more interesting, but frankly, until I pay off what I have, it's just not that attractive.

I hate to say it, but I also don't like the body style as yet. It's shorter than my car, and a little wider. It's a hatch back, rather than a FRC. It looks like it was chipped out of a piece of flint, rather than shaped out of water, like my car does.

Perhaps I'll get to drive one, and that will change my mind. For now, it's an interesting and very fast car that I will admire from afar.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home